Custom Search

mercredi 31 octobre 2012

TOMB OF THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER




TOMB OF THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER 

As ALWAYS, the guards are there, doing their duty, properly, with honor and diligence.

The image below was taken at approximately 12:00 PM 10/29/2012 as the first effects of hurricane Sandy reached Arlington National Cemetery.

306541_515517158472398_57209043_n[1][1]


The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

The ABC evening news on 19 September 2003 reported that because of the dangers from Hurricane Isabel approaching Washington, DC, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment.  They refused.  Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment; it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a service person.


The Sentinel’s Creed
My dedication to this sacred duty
is total and whole-hearted.
In the responsibility bestowed on me
never will I falter.
And with dignity and perseverance
my standard will remain perfection.
Through the years of diligence and praise
and the discomfort of the elements,
I will walk my tour in humble reverence
to the best of my ability.
It is he who commands the respect I protect,
his bravery that made us so proud.
Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day,
alone in the thoughtful peace of night,
this soldier will in honored glory
 rest
under my eternal vigilance.

Aucun commentaire:

Disqus for bookoflannes

Intense Debate Comments